I think Ian really needs to live in the country with lots of large trees to climb; unfortunately here in the 'burbs there's only a few medium ones and they're all getting sad about being old.
In other news yesterday was a busy day. First of all was the spinners guild and I took along my drum carder along with 2 other people and we had a demo. I hadn't gone in planning on doing the demo, but when it was time to start I found myself up there and showing people how I use a drum carder; apparently a few people learned something from it, so I'm glad I did. I took along a bunch of fibre for people to play with, so afterwards a few new batts were made and they all turned out beautifully.
I guess the main points I made were:
- don't overload the intake drum, if you can't see the wood through the fibre then there's too much fibre
- tease or flick card locks before putting them in to get a better result
- go slow, and I mean really slow! If you're watching someone do it and you want to take over and go faster, then that's the perfect speed!
- some fibres are better being applied directly to the large drum as they tend to wrap around the intake drum. Silk and many of the sparklies fit into this category; also anything hugely long.
One point made by one of the other ladies which is important: if using long fibres with short ones, sandwich the short ones on the drum between layers of long ones. It makes the whole batt more stable; I think that was Paula.
After that I came home and did my free-motion quilting. I used a burnt red thread on all the red sections and white on the teal and white bits. Next step is to trim it, then add the binding.
|Quilted but not trimmed, Star appeared to inspect the moment it hit the ground.|
|1st try of Railroad FMQ (double stippling)|
|1st try of pebbles|
|Echoing of the print FMQ|
|1st try of standard double stippling, you can see a few errors|
|2nd try of standard double stippling, a bit better.|
|3rd try of standard double stippling; getting better!|
|4th and best try of standard double stippling, I obviously still need more practice as the foundation line is a bit long in the stitches, but looking much better!|
Once I'd finished that I got all the school trousers to the next step; today I'll be doing all the seaming and hopefully elastic and hemming to finish them too. Photo's will come once done.