Pattern: Drafted to my measurements from a line drawing on a Saundra Ros Altman pattern.
Year: 1911 according to the pattern, but the lines are the same as those dated 1913 so it wouldn't have been out of place.
Notions: Thread, zip (developed in 1913 so I used artistic licence)
How historically accurate is it? I think in general it's fairly accurate. The pattern is effectively a 3 piece pattern but from what I've read that would have been acceptable. The zip technically isn't as I had to use a nylon zip and the one developed in 1913 was in fact a metal one like the jeans ones of today; I didn't have one in a suitable colour though and am trying to work from stash. The seams are I'm afraid overlocked. I tried seam binding, but it wasn't working with this fabric, it's a fairly thick wool, but has a tendency to fray. Most is machine sewn, but the hem is hand-sewn and the facing is also tacked down by hand.
Hours to complete: Not sure, took about 3 days, but bits here and there. Longest part was the pattern drafting as I've not done that for a few years.
First worn: not yet worn
Total cost: I spend a couple of dollars on thread as the one I was using ran out, but aside from that it was all very old stash. The fabric came from Global Fabrics shortly after they first opened in Christchurch.
|Needs a press and suitable shoes, hairstyle and shirt|
|but aha! I have a cat, now you won't notice the lack of suitable clothes.|
|This is the original line drawing, I think I got it fairly close.|