Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 15, 2014

The Juki now has a name!

I've decided to name her Jemima, not sure why but it feels right.   She's done well on everything I've thrown at her so far which includes stretch fabric and faux fur (not good quality fur either).    I've done all the machine sewing I can with her on the eighteenth century dress, the rest is hand sewing.
The lumpy bit on the closest side is the sleeve; that's now partially pinned in place.
I have determined that I need more hooks and eyes on the front; there are currently 6 which is how many were on the pattern, but I think I need at least 5 more for a smooth front.   I may also need to shorten the body, but won't know that for certain till I try it on me with my stays etc.   I'll do that once the sleeves are in.
I've also got a new steam station to try out, Spotlight had a deal on a Semco one and considering I dont' much like my current iron I figured it was worth a go.   It's all set up and I'll try it out on the ironing today.

In knitting news I've finished the shawl I was working on, took me 14 days total and I love it!   Downside is it's taking up the studio floor so I can't get to the ironing board to test that new iron till it's dry.
The pattern is the Drop Leaf Shawlette by Tamara Ell and I've called mine Dragon on a Leaf as the colourway is called Dragon's Breath.
So now I need to work on Evenstar and some socks before the pattern and yarn arrive for my test knit.

First bobbin of 4 done, am about 1/3 of the way through the second and hope to finish that next weekend.
In spinning I'm currently working on some Romney that has been in the stash since before the first earthquake.   Once this is finished I should start on some grey to make stockings; I want to work with colour, but do kind of need the grey.
Speaking of spinning and knitting, if anyone reading my blog is in Christchurch and is interested in joining a group of very friendly knitters, spinners, crocheters and weavers do come along to our guild meetings.   We meet at 11 Tanner St on Monday and Saturday from 10am till 2pm and would love to have some new members.   Our fees are (in my opinion) very reasonable and you gain access to an excellent library and a lot of experience!

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said... Best Blogger Tips

The dress is looking awesome! I know it isn't exactly period, but the Highgarden shawl will look stunning with it!

Katherine said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the dress and the new scarf! That bobbin you spun up is beautiful Rachelle

Blog Archive