Today I finished my first outfit from the 1920's. I don't normally like the fashions from that time simply because I feel a little frumpy without a waist. However the challenge this time was masquerade and I decided it was the perfect shape for what I wanted to be which was this:
This is a Kakabeak flower which is a New Zealand native.
This is what I came up with:
Colour, check, shape of leaves, check.
And the beaded leaves, this makes me very happy.
The Challenge: Masquerade.
I decided to be a Kakabeak flower which is a NZ native flower, it's a
subtle costume simply because if I went the other way I'd never wear it.
Fabric: Peached silk and silk satin both from stash Pattern: Depew with most of the instructions ignored
Notions: polyester thread from stash and half a tube of glass beads also from stash.
How historically accurate is it? I'd say probably 80%; it's machine
sewn for the side seams and shoulder seams which would be accurate, but
the poly thread isn't. Also it isn't as OTT as most extant 1920's
evening dresses seem to be.
Hours to complete:10 approx, most of that is in the beading.
First worn: For the photoshoot
Total cost: nil, all from stash.
The next challenge is Gratitude and at the moment I'm wavering between making a fichu for my 18th century outfit or the petticoat using a tutorial I found a while ago. The idea is to use free instructions we've found on the web and to acknowledge the source of those instructions and thank them; hence the gratitude. In the meantime I'll get back to knitting socks and tomorrow I'll be picking up my loom, plus some books and some practice yarn (like I don't have enough already!)