Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Better Late than Never



I am now all garbed for the eighteenth century; there are some fit issues; the centre bodice is a bit long and the shoulders are too wide so I will need to do some adjustments for the next one.   The sleeve looks a little odd due to that problem so I'll pop out shortly and get Thomas to pin some darts in place; I'm pretty sure that fit adjustments would be standard for any gown even back then.  After all not all gowns would have been made by experts; mine certainly wasn't!

I'll endeavor to fix the worst of the fit issues this week; probably tomorrow.   It could also do with some boning in the front as well, apparently the original didn't have it, but I need it!

Oh, ignore the hair, they definitely didn't have scrunchies then!

The Challenge:  Terminology

Fabric:  Polyester curtaining - the weave is right, but the content is most definitely not!

Pattern:   Janet Arnold polonaise 1770-1780

Year: 1775 approximately

Notions:  thread, hooks and eyes

How historically accurate is it?    The pattern is, but the fabric isn't.   Sewing is a mix of machine and hand; so I'm saying about 50%

Hours to complete:  A lot, and more to come to change the fit a bit.

First worn:   for the photoshoot, planning on wearing it for a school drop off if I can get help to get into it and next Saturday to the weavers and spinners guild
Total cost:  Probably somewhere around $40 all up; hard to know though.

This came under several terminology items.    

Robings which is the trim that goes around the back of the neck, down the bodice and into the skirt; these are hand sewn and might be hiding one or two sins in the dress make up.

Sabot Sleeves:   The sleeves have a curve built in at the elbow to facilitate movement 

Not yet sure what my next foray into historical clothing will be, but I think there will be more effort put into fitting first. 

5 comments:

Miriam said... Best Blogger Tips

Well done, it's an amazing commitment to get this done. I imagine it swishes beautifully!

Rachelle said... Best Blogger Tips

@Miriam
Thanks Miriam, it definitely has swish! I think I need to make another one at some point, but after I've adjusted the pattern. Problem is I also want to make a Regency gown and a Victorian one as well (plus all the underbits for both). I need to remember that I need clothes I can wear in the 21st century first though!

Wanderingcatstudio said... Best Blogger Tips

It looks great! What a project!

Rachelle said... Best Blogger Tips

@Wanderingcatstudio

Thanks Valerie; I had no idea what I was letting myself in for when I started! I am now going to get some sewing done that I can wear in real life though I think.

Kura Carpenter said... Best Blogger Tips

Looking wow! You're guild meetings must be something to behold if this is the standard of dress :)
Does it do up at the center front or sides?

Blog Archive