Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, May 28, 2014


Todays job was originally to warp, but my helpful friend wasn't available so instead I decided to re-upholster my sewing room chair.    It's an office chair, but the old upholstery was starting to shred so it was time to redo the whole thing.

I forgot to take a photo of the whole chair, but this is the back of it to give you an idea of the "before" look.

As you can see it's a fairly non-descript sage green.
And the reveal after 3 hours of hard work

Not quiet perfect, but a huge improvement!
I couldn't get the bottom of the chair off completely, so had to work around that, but despite that I think I did a really good job and I will do it again for the boy's chair too.  Not in this fabric though, not enough left and I think something that won't show the dirt is called for.

The fabric is cotton canvas from Wholeport, I also used a Stanley staplegun to secure the fabric before trimming and reassembling the chair.   I figure it probably saved me a good $100 as it meant I didn't have to buy a new chair and it also kept this one out of landfill; win/win.

Sunday, May 25, 2014


The reason for the squee is that we now own our garage!   We paid the final payment this week and now have the remotes for the door.   There might have been a little playing going on with that.

I've also got a little spinning and knitting done.    Dh's socks are now up the toe for the first one and I finished the gorgeous teal coloured merino blend and am back to spinning my corriedale.   Had hoped to start warping the loom too, but had to make some more pegs for it first and put it on the wall.   Another shelf went up too.    I've also done the tie up on the loom for the first time; that wasn't easy as most instructions have the loom with a different set up.  My lams are on one level, not two and not in the same order; once I'd worked that out though it went more smoothly.   Some information from Doe Arnott was also a great help and I used her plan for the tie up.   Should get the warp done this week.

My loom tie up

Thomas's first sock; looking good!

And finally, the lovely merino blend yarn; this is going to be a cowl

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Moving In.

There has not been a lot of crafting, but I have managed to finish spinning my Fibre2Go on a base of 50% merino, 30% alpaca and 20% silk in the colourway Mediterranean.   It's Navajo plied and is still on the bobbin for now.
The cell doesn't like taking bobbin photos.
I've now got past the heel on Dh's first sock of the pair
Obviously this photo is from before the heel turn
I've transferred lots of stuff into the wardrobe; it's pretty chocka to as high as I can safely stack it.   I'll have to get some more boxes as some of mine are too big to fit and I'll need to put a shelf up too which I'll probably store my fleeces on.   I also have stuff on the shelf I put up above the loom; mostly coned yarn so far and there's more to put up there.

The new storage unit is full, but it's so pretty!   Downside is the sun hits it, so going to have to make curtains for the window there.
I have a lot of yarn; this is just the skeined stuff.
I'm going to have to redo the Ravelry info, at the moment I have no idea where most stuff is, but that'll come after I've made the curtains (mum is providing fabric from their lounge curtain offcuts.   I have to pick up a track, but that shouldn't be too bad if I go to The Warehouse.   Was going to go for a blind, but they're expensive for ready made and with the size of the window I think we'd have to go custom which we can't afford.   Still got stuff to go away in the new room and some stuff in the house to move out and then of course the house cupboards will need a tidy too.

Hmm, I'm not getting a good feeling about finding time to craft, especially when you add in working and needing to keep up with the normal housework.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote a piece for our guild blog about the case making clothes moth, I think it's pretty good, but would love feedback.

Blog Archive